- Demands for inquest after husband’s death at Winnipeg Remand Centre
- California wildfire destroys 4 homes as crews battle the blaze and heat
- Surrey mother talks to IIO about son’s death
- Richard Henry Bain trial: No verdict on Day 2 of deliberations for Quebec 2012 election shooting
- Nova Scotia farmers welcome rain after struggling with dry conditions
Monthly Archives: May 2019
ATLANTA – A police officer in a small, central Georgia city has been shot and killed by a suspect who remains on the loose, authorities said Sunday.
Eastman Patrol Officer Tim Smith was fatally shot about 9:30 p.m. Saturday in a residential area of the city located about 60 miles southeast of Macon, Georgia Bureau of Investigations spokesman Scott Dutton said.
Smith, 31, was responding to a suspicious person call when he encountered Royheem Delshawn Deeds, exited his patrol car and was shot, Dutton said.
Dutton said Deeds, 24, then fled the scene. He is being sought by police.
READ MORE: Milwaukee officials call for calm after unrest over police shooting
Smith was not wearing a body camera.
Smith had been with the Eastman Police Department since 2011. He is survived by three children.
Smith’s death came just hours before two 15-year-old suspects were arrested after exchanging gunfire with officers in the suburban Atlanta city of Marietta.
Officer Scott Davis was shot in the leg early Sunday, Marietta police spokeswoman Kelah Wallace said. Davis, a 10-year veteran, was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries and is recovering after surgery.
The shooting occurred outside the Gallery Apartments when three officers responded to a call about people breaking into cars, Wallace said.
READ MORE: New Mexico village cop gunned down; motorist shot; 3 in custody
The officers approached two suspects who were inside a vehicle, Wallace said. One of the suspects from the vehicle started shooting at the officers, striking one of them.
Three officers returned fire, hitting one of the suspects. Both suspects were eventually arrested, Wallace said. The wounded suspect was taken to the hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.
Davis and the two other officers will be placed on administrative leave as per policy standards.
Every day on Global News at 6 and Global News at 10, we feature a viewer submitted photo for Your Saskatchewan.
To submit a picture for Your Saskatchewan, email to [email protected]长沙夜网.
Pictures should be at least 920 pixels wide and in jpeg format.
GALLERY: Your Saskatchewan – Saskatoon: July 2016
Your Saskatchewan – Saskatoon: June 2016
Your Saskatchewan – Saskatoon: May 2016
Your Saskatchewan – Saskatoon: April 2016
WASHINGTON — Donald Trump‘s campaign on Sunday went on a new tear against the media, blaming the “disgusting” press for a week of distractions at a time when Republicans have urged him — again — to focus on Democratic rival Hillary Clinton.
Trump will get another chance to reset his campaign on Monday when he is expected to lay out his plan for defeating what running mate Mike Pence on Sunday called, “radical Islamic terrorism” with “real specifics” on how to make the United States safer.
But Trump set up that address with extensive new complaints about the latest disastrous week of coverage and reports of campaign chaos. Not to blame, Trump suggested, were his own remarks that gun rights supporters could “do something” if Hillary Clinton becomes president and appoints liberal judges, or his repeated insistence on the falsehood that President Barack “Obama founded ISIS.”
READ MORE: Feds preparing for potential effects of U.S. election
“If the disgusting and corrupt media covered me honestly and didn’t put false meaning into the words I say, I would be beating Hillary by 20 percent,” he tweeted before noon. That tweet was followed by: “My rallies are not covered properly by the media. They never discuss the real message and never show crowd size or enthusiasm.” His anti-media tweet storm topped a half-dozen posts by midafternoon.
It is not “freedom of the press” when newspapers and others are allowed to say and write whatever they want even if it is completely false!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 14, 2016
It was the latest in a series of implicit acknowledgements by the Republican presidential nominee that he is not winning and in fact could be headed for a big loss to Clinton on Election Day in less than three months. Signs were popping up across the political landscape that Trump’s year-plus flirtation with presidential politics was in danger of not advancing much further.
Gaffe-by-gaffe, additional Republicans have come forward to say they’re not supporting his bid, with Carlos Gutierrez, secretary of commerce under President George W. Bush, announcing his support for Clinton on Sunday. Meanwhile, GOP leaders in Washington and in the most competitive states have begun openly contemplating turning their backs on their party’s presidential nominee and putting their money and effort instead behind the party’s House and Senate candidates.
WATCH: Donald Trump calls for a restriction of press freedom in the US while he demands protesters be removed (March 4,2016)
Frustratingly for Republicans, Trump’s missteps have overshadowed difficult news for Clinton: The new release of 44 previously-unreleased email exchanges Clinton had while at the State Department. They became public on Tuesday and showed her interacting with lobbyists, political and Clinton Foundation donors and business interests while serving as secretary of state.
The New York Times on Sunday catalogued a culture of crisis inside the Trump campaign.
Crooked Hillary Clinton is being protected by the media. She is not a talented person or politician. The dishonest media refuses to expose!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 14, 2016
That set off Trump on a 桑拿会所 rant Sunday morning. He called the report “fiction” and reiterated that he is not about to change what he sees as a winning campaign formula. “I am who I am,” he tweeted.
Given that, Trump’s allies set out Sunday to bat down bad publicity and warn people not to write Trump off.
READ MORE: Donald Trump struggles for support in Great Lakes region on road to 270
Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., warned that the “campaign is not over” and described Trump as still being in transition from the bulldog who beat 16 rivals in the GOP primary to a general election candidate who communicates differently to a wider electorate what he wants to do differently than Clinton.
WATCH: Donald Trump lashes out at media over coverage on charitable donations
“He’s got to wrestle in his own heart, how does he communicate who he is, what he believes, the change he thinks he can bring to America, why what he’s doing is fulfilling the desires of the American people,” Sessions said on ABC’s “This Week.”
WATCH: Trump’s campaign chair accused of links to corruption in Ukraine
Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort criticized the news media for not focusing on what otherwise would have been a substantive week of dueling economic speeches from Trump and Clinton. He said Trump is continuing to raise millions of dollars while traveling to key battleground states — Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida — and remains personally “very connected” to the operations of his campaign.
“You could have covered what he was saying, or you could try and take an aside and take the Clinton narrative and play it out. And you chose to do that instead,” Manafort said on CNN.
Pence said on “Fox News Sunday” that he remains proud to be Trump’s running mate and advised: “Stay tuned, it’s very early in this campaign. This coming Monday, you’re going to see a vision for confronting radical Islamic terrorism.”
RIO DE JANEIRO – On the heels of winning the fourth Olympic medal of his career, Adam van Koeverden just stopped.
He stopped training, stopped working out casually and decided to get a job.
The Canadian kayak legend didn’t retire from racing after the 2012 Games in London, but he also wasn’t sure if he had the desire to continue.
“I stopped being physical,” said van Koeverden. “That was a bad choice.”
The Oakville, Ont., native finally got back into his boat after working for a Toronto marketing firm for a few months, but something wasn’t right.
And with some frustrating results starting to wear on him, he linked up with the Australian national team, a move that, along with some sage advice from a few confidants, gave him the boost he needed to push on to the Rio Olympics.
FULL COVERAGE: Rio 2016
“He knew he had to take some big steps to get back in the game,” said Canoe Kayak Canada sprint high performance director Scott Logan. “He took them, and here he is. He’s back.”
Van Koeverden will be on the water at Lagoa Stadium on Monday when competition in the 1,000-metre singles race – known as the K-1 1,000 – gets underway with the heats and semifinals. The final goes Tuesday.
The 34-year-old won a gold and bronze at the 2004 Games in Athens before picking up silvers in Beijing in 2008 and London in 2012.
An eight-time medallist at the world championships, including golds in 2003 and 2007, van Koeverden is realistic about his chances of getting to the podium in Brazil, but he’s also quietly confident.
Rio 2016: What to watch in week 2 of the Olympics
“My goal on Monday is to make the final because that’s all I can do on Monday,” he said. “I’ll worry about Tuesday when I make the final. They don’t mail the medals out at the Olympics, they don’t decide beforehand who’s going to be the best. I hate the term ‘supposed to win.’ Nobody’s supposed to win. There’s no pre-destiny. You get on the water and you paddle as hard as you can because you want to win.
“Making the final is not a given to anybody.”
Monday’s heat will be van Koeverden’s first race at 1,000 metres since finishing third at last summer’s Pan Am Games.
Canadian star kayaker Adam van Koeverden claps accepting his bronze medal for the K1 1000m final at the 2015 Pan Am Games in Welland, Ont., in a July 13, 2015, file photo. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Lynett, File
Canadian star kayaker Adam van Koeverden claps accepting his bronze medal for the K1 1000m final at the 2015 Pan Am Games in Welland, Ont., in a July 13, 2015, file photo.
THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Lynett, File
He said he took time off because his body was overworked in some areas and underworked in others, while also adding his iron levels were very low.
“I knew that under the right circumstances he could get back, but I think everyone had some doubts at one point,” Logan said of van Koeverden’s journey post-London.
“But you only have to know the guy a little bit to know that if anybody can do it, he can. Even during his worst days he was still one of our best athletes.
“This guy prides himself on being on podiums and he’s been there four times. It’s quite amazing.”
Gone are the days of van Koeverden constantly pushing his body to the limit in training, now instead preferring a more selective regimen.
“When I was 22, 23 years old I had a literal super power. I could recover from any kind of physical abuse,” he said. “I just recovered.
“I credit that little super power, for the time that I had it, with a lot of my success. It was probably the reason I was able to get as good as I did as fast as I did when I was young.”
Like most Olympians in the twilight of their careers, van Koeverden is coy about what the future holds after this week, but he does plan on racing at the Canadian nationals after the Games.
“I’ve been thinking about it non-stop,” he said. “I don’t have an answer yet.”
– With files from Canadian Press sports reporter Frederic Daigle